I know it’s fairly common for girls to be short, however, I seem to always be surrounded by taller girls. Taller girls can find a pair of jeans that actually fits them length-wise and shirts that aren’t too long on them. Me? I have to scavenge the petite section looking for a decent-looking pair of jeans because really, all the good looking ones are made for taller girls.
Being short is something that I’ve always had an issue with, but am slowly coming to terms with accepting my height and even, kind of, liking it. Up until I was nineteen I was always hoping I had an extra growth spurt in me, but I have to face it… I stopped growing when I was twelve. I know I’m not the shortest person in the world. In fact, I do know a few other girls personally who are shorter than I am. But even standing at a grand 5′ 1½” (yes I include the half) there are still some problems that come with this magnificent height.
Common Problems of Being Short
- Having to climb the counter-tops to reach certain foods/dishes.
- That one person who sits directly in front of you at the movies when there are plenty of other seats available.
- The realization that 5th graders are taller than you.
- Your head is your best friend’s arm rest (this might just be me).
- Being a full-fledged adult and still having to use that step-stool at the doctor’s office to get on the examination bed.
- Yoga-capri pants are too long.
- Not being able to see the hood of your car. (I didn’t know normal-height people could see them!)
- When the sun visor in the car doesn’t help because you’re so short.
- Those awkward hugs with people more than 3-4 inches taller than you.
- You can’t stand past the 4½ft section of a swimming pool.
- Getting offered the kids’ menu in restaurants because apparently being under 5’4″ means you’re 12.
- Just barely qualifying for the height requirement for amusement park rides.
Honestly, I could keep going. I really could. However, I’m sure that you get my point here. There are a lot of “problems” us short girls have to deal with.
So my question for all my fellow short-gal friends, what are some things you’d add to this list?